Advocates make a two year commitment to spend time a minimum of every other week with a child who is a dependent or a non minor dependent of the court as a result of having been physically, sexually or emotionally abused, neglected, or abandoned. The advocate also interviews all parties involved with the case to develop independent opinions and provide information and recommendations to the court which address the best interests of the child. Advocates also provide a stable, consistent adult presence in the child’s life and advocate for the needs of the child.
Advocates are required to do the following:
- Complete 30 hours of initial training
- Complete 12 hours of annual in-service training
- Submit written reports to the court at each court hearing (usually twice a year)
- Contact all parties involved on the case on a regular/as needed basis
- Submit monthly logs
- Have monthly contact with the Case Supervisor